- make a strong coffee using 1 tsp of instant coffee powder and about half an inch of boiling water in the bottom of a mug – or make an espresso if you haf the technology.
- leave coffee to cool overnight, or whatever time you have.
- come down intending to make smoothie for breakfast. discover your husband ate the last banana after you went to bed. curse husband comprehensively. have something else for breakfast and then go to shops for sole purpose of buying bananas. this step is not strictly speaking essential and may be omitted, if liked 🙂
- slice a banana and freeze for an hour or more, if you have time.
- place 200ml of almond milk (or ordinary milk) in blender goblet.
- add cooled coffee.
- add sliced frozen banana.
- add 1 to 2 tbsps of almond butter, depending on how hungry/greedy/hormonal you are feeling. almonds are rich in Vitamin E which is supposed to be good for the irritability and mood swings associated with PMS. it just IS, all right?!
- if you have them, and like them, then add 2 tbsp of chia seeds, and wait 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then drink.
this recipe was inspired by Madeleine Shaw’s Coffee Chia Smoothie, here. her recipe includes vanilla extract which I’d rather not use in this method, due to its alcohol content – hence the addition of almond butter. I did use chia seeds because I was in the mood for them, and had them in the house. if you don’t already use them they don’t add much to the taste of the smoothie. they are expensive and their texture can be an acquired taste (think teeny tiny frog-spawn) so no need to include if you’d rather not! ribbit, ribbit….. Prim xx